Skip to main content

Path

 

Image credit: Unsplash.com

Hey, You!

I learned one big life lesson this week in what may seem like a random coincidence during my usual daily walks. 

Now, let me get straight to it.

This day, I had decided to include a different and longer route to my plan because it was a Saturday plus I had very little physical activity the day before so I felt, why not do more kilometers today? Sounds like a good plan right? Until I started feeling slight pain in my left hip. So I told myself to slow down. Then I got to a junction on my new route - I was familiar with the road but never really walked through the path in recent times. 

I kept looking around and marveled at how much had changed in the area in the last 2 years. There were lots of buildings and ongoing construction projects. I smiled and reaffirmed the fact that a lot can indeed happen in a year. Anyways, I remembered that there was a shortcut that would link me faster to my street as opposed to taking another route that seemed longer to me. 

As I approached the road that connects to the junction, I noticed it was slightly flooded and the people in front of me had to jump over a narrow plank. My first instinct was to turn back and take the other route in peace before publicly embarrassing myself as I imagined how I would navigate the plank. I had turned but was immediately self-motivated, and I encouraged myself to go back after seeing the distance I would cover walking back to the other junction. So I mumbled to myself, ‘it can’t be that bad. ‘is it not just that small flood’. 

Then I redirected my route toward the flooded road. As I jumped over the first gutter, a car drove past, pushing the water forcefully on the road against the plank. I noticed that the tiny plank tilted a bit from the force of the water. It may have been a slight tilt but my mind imagined much worse as I saw another car approaching. Immediately, I ran back! 

Abegg, I can’t come and injure myself because of a shorter route jare. I began laughing at myself at how I gave up so easily because of fear. I pushed aside that “motivational thoughts” and admitted that I made the right decision. I mean, what if I fell and hurt my hip and ankle? Sha, I kept walking towards the junction, dancing slightly as I continued listening to Mariah Carey’s playlist. The soundtrack for the animated movie, Prince of Egypt featuring Whitney Houston was now playing. 

After a little while, I got to the junction that would have been the place I would have connected to if I had been able to pass through the plank hurdle. I looked up and noticed a gate - a locked gate. Chai! I laughed and imagined how frustrated I would have been if I had gone through all that stress, maybe fallen, and walked up down a stretch to a locked gate. The answer was simple, I would have gone back right to where I was coming from and eventually walked back to the route I eventually took which was slightly longer.

Then I thought to myself, sometimes, not every mission is aborted out of fear. Many times, the shortest route may not always be the best plan for you. What may seem like a long journey or wait can be made enjoyable while “waiting”. 

Lastly, life can teach us immense lessons from random or ordinary events, be mindful and take notes. I knew I had to share this with you and I truly hope that you are encouraged to stay true to your dreams and path! 

Love, 

TA


Comments

  1. It is interesting how life teaches us lessons in random and simple things. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For My G.Ma - Felicia

I never knew I would miss her this much. People never understood why I love Christmas. I didn’t quite get it too – apart   from the bursting joy of the birth of Christ, the melodious songs and beautiful decorations; there was more to the super hyper and lovey-dovey feeling I always have this season. So, I was scrolling through my phone gallery and saw the last photo I had with my G.Ma. Oh by the way, Christmas was her birth and death day. I’m writing this because of her. Just to share a bit of her awesomeness with you. That woman was a bad-ass! Reminiscing on my childhood memories with her, I realized she was the reason I love Christmas. I usually spent my Christmas and New-Year holidays with her as a child. She would take me to her church and ask the priest to allow me join other children in the Christmas carol rehearsals and performances. She would take me to the salon and have my hair done and accessorized. I hated making my hair, it was just too stressful.

My covid-19 vaccination experience

Image Source: Google  So, I know the first question on your mind if you are a Nigerian is, how seamless was the process? This question is mainly because of the engraved suffering – ‘hard work’ mode in our institutions’ processes DNA!  Trust me, I get it. And that was why my friends and I got to the centre at 4:30am. Oh, let me rephrase that, one of my friends, Debo, whose house was closer to the centre got there at 4.30am.   Of course, he wasn’t attended to – they told him, no one would be attended to until 8am.  Then, I got there some minutes before 5am. I thought I could use my smile and charm to soften the heart of the man my friend had met, to at least give us tally numbers. We were the first people at the centre and had wanted to just get the tally numbers, go for our jog and come back.     Anyways, my charm did not work. We were asked to stand outside the primary health centre’s gate until 8am. Then, we thought to ourselves, we can’t leave this place without a number. Luckily my

Father Of My Child(ren)

You are their hero. You are their light. I know you have been raised to teach them right. To raise boys who would be responsible, bold and kind. To raise girls who would be strong, bold and compassionate. To raise leaders who will impact their world, humans who will be afraid of nothing. You will pray with and for them. You will be the example they need. You will be the voice inside their hearts. You will teach them the ways of God and to love and trust him always. You will show them how to be human and good citizens. You will teach them the importance of hard work and diligence; the dignity in labour. They will make mistakes but you will teach them to be responsible enough to own up and move on. You may not be perfect; you are only human and will have your flaws. But they will love you in all your imperfections, in your flawed beauty. You will be so worthy of emulation that strangers would learn from you. Men would understand their vital roles as fathers to their chi