Skip to main content

For My G.Ma - Felicia



Image result for image of grandmother and granddaughter silhouette
I never knew I would miss her this much.

People never understood why I love Christmas. I didn’t quite get it too – apart  from the bursting joy of the birth of Christ, the melodious songs and beautiful decorations; there was more to the super hyper and lovey-dovey feeling I always have this season.

So, I was scrolling through my phone gallery and saw the last photo I had with my G.Ma. Oh by the way, Christmas was her birth and death day. I’m writing this because of her. Just to share a bit of her awesomeness with you.
That woman was a bad-ass! Reminiscing on my childhood memories with her, I realized she was the reason I love Christmas.

I usually spent my Christmas and New-Year holidays with her as a child. She would take me to her church and ask the priest to allow me join other children in the Christmas carol rehearsals and performances.
She would take me to the salon and have my hair done and accessorized. I hated making my hair, it was just too stressful. I remember one of those years, we had spent long hours making and decorating the ‘Christmas hair’. But boy! It was too tight. At first, I didn’t want to complain because I saw that she loved it – she had this warm smile on her face as soon as she saw the hair. 

My G.Ma rarely laughed out loud but when she does, she laughs with the whole of her body and heart. You wouldn’t know when you start to laugh too; it was that contagious.
We got to the church that night and I was so uncomfortable. I refused to join other kids for the performance. I was literally sick and in the middle of the service, I told her the truth behind my pain – it was the hair. Immediately, she abandoned every other thing and took out the hair. She didn’t care if we were in church, all she wanted was my comfort and I was indeed relieved from the strands of rubber – the popular knotted ‘kiko’ style.

My Grandma was such a gem. Beautiful dark skinned with some strong white teeth and great dentition. She was very opinionated, independent and industrious.  She loved to cater and care for people. Young women and men in her neighbourhood would always come to her for advice and she was never tired of them.
She respected everyone and loves children – she had a really tough and very long time having children of her own.

She loved, laughed and lived. I think she was quite stubborn, so am I. She prayed every single day and mentioned each person’s specific names and her request for them. Some names I knew and many I didn’t. I must have learnt this connected and beautiful act of prayer through her.
Every night, she would tell me a story from the bible. She was very descriptive and I would imagine every word and character. They became real to me –Jesus became real to me and I fell in love with him through her stories.

The year she passed, I had wished to have a different Christmas. I had grown up and was tired of the regular stuff – going to Grandma’s house. I just wanted to do other things on Christmas day and when she died, indeed I had a different Christmas and for a while, I carried the guilt in my heart.
The guilt that I didn’t care enough, that I didn’t visit as often as I should have. The guilt of not remembering to return her calls, I felt sad that I wasn’t entirely present even while speaking on the phone with her on the eve of Christmas. I was busy cooking and making arrangements!

If only I knew that was going to be the last time, perhaps I would have spent more time on the phone with her. Maybe I would have held her in my arms until her last gasp.
She taught me through her death and life to be PRESENT.
I miss her deeply and thankful for all the sacrifices.
Well, I asked for something different and she sure gave a show. She knew I love Christmas and knows perhaps, that I would not forget her in a hurry!

For my G.Ma – Felicia.
I’m still loving and learning to be more PRESENT.
Just so you know, Christmas hasn’t been the same without you.
I love you.
Your OluwaTosin,

Comments

  1. Now you want to make me cry.. This is so touching.. If I never knew G.MA... I will definitely fall in love with her.. God bless her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Thank you for reading and loving my G.Ma. Merry Christmas to you also🎁

      Delete
    2. God bless her. Amazing and touching words. Merry Christmas to you still.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for reading. Merry Christmas to you too🎄🤗

      Delete
  2. Great personality worth emulating. I'm calling mine right away! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Deborah🤗 Please do! Merry Christmas to you.

      Delete
  3. My grandma was also my best friend then.. Surprisingly when l was leaving the North (Plateau State) she literally took my hair net which l was wearing that day cause l planned to embark on a night journey to Lagos then and she gave me her scarf (2008). She is late now though but l still have the scarf with me. I miss her everyday...Thank you for this Egbon mi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so beautiful to hear. I'm sure you'll cherish that scarf for a long time. Thank you for sharing and reading too. Merry Christmas 🎄

      Delete
  4. Wow! Grand Ma had an amazing personality ! God bless her. Thanks for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Sundayman🤗 and for reading too. Merry Christmas

      Delete
  5. May God bless her soul
    This is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Thank you for reading and your kind words. Merry Christmas to you also🎄🤗

      Delete
  6. "She taught me through her death and life to be PRESENT." Huge lesson I'm taking away from this thoughtful piece.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and I am happy you found something dear to hold on to from this piece.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My covid-19 vaccination experience

Image Source: Google  So, I know the first question on your mind if you are a Nigerian is, how seamless was the process? This question is mainly because of the engraved suffering – ‘hard work’ mode in our institutions’ processes DNA!  Trust me, I get it. And that was why my friends and I got to the centre at 4:30am. Oh, let me rephrase that, one of my friends, Debo, whose house was closer to the centre got there at 4.30am.   Of course, he wasn’t attended to – they told him, no one would be attended to until 8am.  Then, I got there some minutes before 5am. I thought I could use my smile and charm to soften the heart of the man my friend had met, to at least give us tally numbers. We were the first people at the centre and had wanted to just get the tally numbers, go for our jog and come back.     Anyways, my charm did not work. We were asked to stand outside the primary health centre’s gate until 8am. Then, we thought to ourselves, we can’t leave this place without a number. Luckily my

Father Of My Child(ren)

You are their hero. You are their light. I know you have been raised to teach them right. To raise boys who would be responsible, bold and kind. To raise girls who would be strong, bold and compassionate. To raise leaders who will impact their world, humans who will be afraid of nothing. You will pray with and for them. You will be the example they need. You will be the voice inside their hearts. You will teach them the ways of God and to love and trust him always. You will show them how to be human and good citizens. You will teach them the importance of hard work and diligence; the dignity in labour. They will make mistakes but you will teach them to be responsible enough to own up and move on. You may not be perfect; you are only human and will have your flaws. But they will love you in all your imperfections, in your flawed beauty. You will be so worthy of emulation that strangers would learn from you. Men would understand their vital roles as fathers to their chi