Skip to main content

Drown Out the Noise

 

Image credit: iStock

Hey, you!


Sometime last week, during my walk, I had my headphones plugged into my ears as I sang along to one of my all-time favourite songs, ‘Breathe’ by the Nigerian gospel artiste Dunsin Oyekan, on my playlist. 

As I turned to the corner of the road, I dragged in quickly and deeply the fresh air that rushed towards my body while I smiled and spread my arms as I sank my soul into the lyrics. Suddenly as I approached a particular spot, the atmosphere started to change. It had gotten warmer and noisy. No, it wasn’t an episode of what may seem perfect as the introduction of a natural disaster scene in a movie. This one in the current reality contributes to what would become a climate disaster - the loud, vibrating engine and exhaust pipes of the gigantic generator for a corporate firm building. 


I frowned in disappointment as I looked at the building and then the generator as if my frown could tell the owners that they were being irresponsible and inconsiderate to their environment. I wondered how the residents living in the surroundings can cope with the earsplitting noise. Immediately, I noticed that the noise had distracted the peaceful meditation, song, and my walk, then this phrase came to mind - “drown out the noise” as I struggled to reconnect to my previous state of mind. 


Immediately, I took my eyes off the distraction, and kept walking, eyes forward and my mind gradually settling as it tuned back into the song. And as I kept walking away from the noise, it became clear. The air got fresher, and my mind was at ease again.

You see, through this random scenario, I learned a few things that I am happy to share with you. 

  1. On the path to your destination or goal, there will be distractions. You can allow yourself to get carried away or get drowned by the noise, or you choose to filter it and drown it out.
  2. You must guard your heart and mind. Try this by meditating, praying, and listening to soul-lifting music. If your physical world is about to be rocked and turned upside down, the battle starts first with your mind. 
  3. Focus. Don’t get lost in other people’s dreams or lives. Focus and find your path (I learned this part from a Netflix series I recently saw - The Sandman). 


Lastly and more literally, enjoy and bask in the joyous presence of nature. 

If you enjoyed this read, please share the link, and I am always happy to read from you in the comment section!


Love,

TA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My G.Ma - Felicia

I never knew I would miss her this much. People never understood why I love Christmas. I didn’t quite get it too – apart   from the bursting joy of the birth of Christ, the melodious songs and beautiful decorations; there was more to the super hyper and lovey-dovey feeling I always have this season. So, I was scrolling through my phone gallery and saw the last photo I had with my G.Ma. Oh by the way, Christmas was her birth and death day. I’m writing this because of her. Just to share a bit of her awesomeness with you. That woman was a bad-ass! Reminiscing on my childhood memories with her, I realized she was the reason I love Christmas. I usually spent my Christmas and New-Year holidays with her as a child. She would take me to her church and ask the priest to allow me join other children in the Christmas carol rehearsals and performances. She would take me to the salon and have my hair done and accessorized. I hated making my hair, it was just too stressful.

My covid-19 vaccination experience

Image Source: Google  So, I know the first question on your mind if you are a Nigerian is, how seamless was the process? This question is mainly because of the engraved suffering – ‘hard work’ mode in our institutions’ processes DNA!  Trust me, I get it. And that was why my friends and I got to the centre at 4:30am. Oh, let me rephrase that, one of my friends, Debo, whose house was closer to the centre got there at 4.30am.   Of course, he wasn’t attended to – they told him, no one would be attended to until 8am.  Then, I got there some minutes before 5am. I thought I could use my smile and charm to soften the heart of the man my friend had met, to at least give us tally numbers. We were the first people at the centre and had wanted to just get the tally numbers, go for our jog and come back.     Anyways, my charm did not work. We were asked to stand outside the primary health centre’s gate until 8am. Then, we thought to ourselves, we can’t leave this place without a number. Luckily my

Father Of My Child(ren)

You are their hero. You are their light. I know you have been raised to teach them right. To raise boys who would be responsible, bold and kind. To raise girls who would be strong, bold and compassionate. To raise leaders who will impact their world, humans who will be afraid of nothing. You will pray with and for them. You will be the example they need. You will be the voice inside their hearts. You will teach them the ways of God and to love and trust him always. You will show them how to be human and good citizens. You will teach them the importance of hard work and diligence; the dignity in labour. They will make mistakes but you will teach them to be responsible enough to own up and move on. You may not be perfect; you are only human and will have your flaws. But they will love you in all your imperfections, in your flawed beauty. You will be so worthy of emulation that strangers would learn from you. Men would understand their vital roles as fathers to their chi