Skip to main content

New Year, New You?


Welcome to 2022, yay! So, what are you most thankful for? 

For me, I am most thankful and happy to be alive doing the things that I love and being with the people that I care deeply about. 

You know, it’s ironic how it takes a moment of actual silence and reflection to begin to realize just how good the season that you may have been grumbling and unhappy about was indeed for you. This was my scenario and it took a flash for me to remember and appreciate how the year started and how I have grown and changed so much by the end of the year. 

My top 3 most exciting moments of 2021 were; 

1.     Turning 30.

2.  Holding the hard printed copy of my new children picture book – 'I am Mindful', which will be available to the public for purchase from February 2022.


3.     Overcoming anxiety and self-doubt. To be completely honest and vulnerable to you, this is still a work in progress. I still find myself doubting and nervous sometimes, but now, I am more open to talking about it and I have found comfort in God and friends who remind me constantly of who I am. 

I learnt a few things too; 

1.     Know yourself. I think this is my most valuable gift, the knowledge of self. I have learnt to look inward, search and evaluate myself and in so doing, I have come to love and appreciate myself even more. Self-love is indeed a journey but a highly essential one that we must all strive to embark on. 

2.     Stop hiding. This is still a work in progress but I have worked on my mind and learning to embody my brilliance and step out of the shadows. I am learning to stop being shy and wield the power that I possess to achieve anything I set my mind on. If you are struggling like me, I think you should step out into the light and own your excellence – be your hype man basically and the world will listen!

3.    Love regardless. I have lost some and won some. I have cried and laughed. I have closed my heart and opened it a lot.  I have been wearied and raced. But through all of the moments, I choose love over hate. I choose love always because God is love and love warms my heart, makes it flutter and makes me glow. Now, you know my beauty secret. LOL!

4.   Time is life. I have learnt to express my feelings to people, even if they do not feel the same and honestly, I do not regret it. Life, I believe is too short to hold back something so precious. I learnt to forgive quickly, move on or forward depending on the situation. Most importantly, I am learning to tell the people I care about the most, how much I love them on a daily basis. 

5.    Let go of control. Oh boy, I love control so much that I panic when it seems like I am losing control or at least sight of a situation. I always want to be able to plan or prepare for possible risk responses. The good thing is, on my job it makes me an excellent project manager. The bad thing is, in life, it sometimes makes me a wreck for a while. I have learnt and still learning to identify things within and outside of my control in life.  I have chosen to surrender control of the things I clearly can't handle and manage the ones I can. This has given me peace of mind and it feels good to be unbothered, sometimes. 

I am indeed excited about the great and beautiful things, connections and opportunities this new year has in store for me. I do hope, that a true and everlasting love would be one of them. 

More so, I wish for you to get the desires of your heart according to God’s will and purpose for your life.  

Have a prosperous 2022!

Love, 

TA 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My G.Ma - Felicia

I never knew I would miss her this much. People never understood why I love Christmas. I didn’t quite get it too – apart   from the bursting joy of the birth of Christ, the melodious songs and beautiful decorations; there was more to the super hyper and lovey-dovey feeling I always have this season. So, I was scrolling through my phone gallery and saw the last photo I had with my G.Ma. Oh by the way, Christmas was her birth and death day. I’m writing this because of her. Just to share a bit of her awesomeness with you. That woman was a bad-ass! Reminiscing on my childhood memories with her, I realized she was the reason I love Christmas. I usually spent my Christmas and New-Year holidays with her as a child. She would take me to her church and ask the priest to allow me join other children in the Christmas carol rehearsals and performances. She would take me to the salon and have my hair done and accessorized. I hated making my hair, it was just too stressful.

My covid-19 vaccination experience

Image Source: Google  So, I know the first question on your mind if you are a Nigerian is, how seamless was the process? This question is mainly because of the engraved suffering – ‘hard work’ mode in our institutions’ processes DNA!  Trust me, I get it. And that was why my friends and I got to the centre at 4:30am. Oh, let me rephrase that, one of my friends, Debo, whose house was closer to the centre got there at 4.30am.   Of course, he wasn’t attended to – they told him, no one would be attended to until 8am.  Then, I got there some minutes before 5am. I thought I could use my smile and charm to soften the heart of the man my friend had met, to at least give us tally numbers. We were the first people at the centre and had wanted to just get the tally numbers, go for our jog and come back.     Anyways, my charm did not work. We were asked to stand outside the primary health centre’s gate until 8am. Then, we thought to ourselves, we can’t leave this place without a number. Luckily my

Father Of My Child(ren)

You are their hero. You are their light. I know you have been raised to teach them right. To raise boys who would be responsible, bold and kind. To raise girls who would be strong, bold and compassionate. To raise leaders who will impact their world, humans who will be afraid of nothing. You will pray with and for them. You will be the example they need. You will be the voice inside their hearts. You will teach them the ways of God and to love and trust him always. You will show them how to be human and good citizens. You will teach them the importance of hard work and diligence; the dignity in labour. They will make mistakes but you will teach them to be responsible enough to own up and move on. You may not be perfect; you are only human and will have your flaws. But they will love you in all your imperfections, in your flawed beauty. You will be so worthy of emulation that strangers would learn from you. Men would understand their vital roles as fathers to their chi