Skip to main content

Garri Water


(Originally written 21/4/2021)

This post is about my 'Nana'. This is me wanting to pick up the sweet name some people (children especially) call their Grandmothers. I like it. It sounds fancy. LOL! Anyways, before I get to the part that has to do with my Nana, something serious happened to me. In fact, I am weak and as I write, I am in what I hope is the last phase of this obstacle.

I am purging. I must have gone to the bathroom at least 4 times. The good thing is, it’s not even such a lot like that. It’s just the part of the rumbling stomach and lack of sleep that I hate the most.

You are laughing at me. But you know it’s not funny.

I knew what I ate. In fact, all the things that I mixed together in this small stomach of mine. Gosh! The stomach really hurts. Not like hurt like piercing hurt but you know what I mean. Stop pretending like you have never experienced this too.

I need to go to work. Then I remembered Garri water. Now, this is the part my Nana comes in. She once told me when I had this same experience a long time ago that I was doing the Garri solution wrong. Why are you looking at me like you have never heard of the Garri solution to stop purge?! Oh really, you haven’t😮? The part you pour small Garri and lots of water, no sugar and groundnuts - it’s not lunch and no ice blocks! Then you mix and drink?!

Okay. I have helped you with the explanation already. Now, I used to do it wrong before because I would usually pour quite a lot of Garri and drink with a spoon like I was drinking Garri to stop hunger. My Nana taught me instead to pour just a little Garri and more of the water, then you gulp it all down. According to her, it’s the water that does the magic. Now, I don’t know if this is scientifically proven - of course, it’s not! But they say Mothers are always right. And, somehow this solution works for me.

Like today, I’m sitting on the toilet seat of course, and writing this after gulping down the GW solution. Don’t ask me what GW is again. Now, the tricky part is, when you drink it, you are expected to wait for a little bit, just in case some last phase of duties need to be discharged. You know what I mean😉.

I’m waiting and writing and so far, nothing. That means I am done here. Don’t say I didn’t teach you something new today.

Love always,

TA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My G.Ma - Felicia

I never knew I would miss her this much. People never understood why I love Christmas. I didn’t quite get it too – apart   from the bursting joy of the birth of Christ, the melodious songs and beautiful decorations; there was more to the super hyper and lovey-dovey feeling I always have this season. So, I was scrolling through my phone gallery and saw the last photo I had with my G.Ma. Oh by the way, Christmas was her birth and death day. I’m writing this because of her. Just to share a bit of her awesomeness with you. That woman was a bad-ass! Reminiscing on my childhood memories with her, I realized she was the reason I love Christmas. I usually spent my Christmas and New-Year holidays with her as a child. She would take me to her church and ask the priest to allow me join other children in the Christmas carol rehearsals and performances. She would take me to the salon and have my hair done and accessorized. I hated making my hair, it was just too stressful.

My covid-19 vaccination experience

Image Source: Google  So, I know the first question on your mind if you are a Nigerian is, how seamless was the process? This question is mainly because of the engraved suffering – ‘hard work’ mode in our institutions’ processes DNA!  Trust me, I get it. And that was why my friends and I got to the centre at 4:30am. Oh, let me rephrase that, one of my friends, Debo, whose house was closer to the centre got there at 4.30am.   Of course, he wasn’t attended to – they told him, no one would be attended to until 8am.  Then, I got there some minutes before 5am. I thought I could use my smile and charm to soften the heart of the man my friend had met, to at least give us tally numbers. We were the first people at the centre and had wanted to just get the tally numbers, go for our jog and come back.     Anyways, my charm did not work. We were asked to stand outside the primary health centre’s gate until 8am. Then, we thought to ourselves, we can’t leave this place without a number. Luckily my

Father Of My Child(ren)

You are their hero. You are their light. I know you have been raised to teach them right. To raise boys who would be responsible, bold and kind. To raise girls who would be strong, bold and compassionate. To raise leaders who will impact their world, humans who will be afraid of nothing. You will pray with and for them. You will be the example they need. You will be the voice inside their hearts. You will teach them the ways of God and to love and trust him always. You will show them how to be human and good citizens. You will teach them the importance of hard work and diligence; the dignity in labour. They will make mistakes but you will teach them to be responsible enough to own up and move on. You may not be perfect; you are only human and will have your flaws. But they will love you in all your imperfections, in your flawed beauty. You will be so worthy of emulation that strangers would learn from you. Men would understand their vital roles as fathers to their chi