Skip to main content

It was ‘World Happiness Day’

Tips to be Happy
Mallika Wiriyathitipirin/Eyeem/Getty Images

So, yesterday was the International Happiness Day and I won’t even bore you with the statistics and report. But, if you are wondering why there is a day of happiness worthy of celebration – even though I doubt a lot of people in this part of the world realized it. 

Well, the day 20th of March, recognizes happiness as the most important need in any human’s life and links it to the overall well-being of humans. 

 

Okay, now, if you paused and asked yourself this question, ‘are you happy?’ – would you be able to give a genuine straight answer. That is, a yes or no type of answer? 

Maybe you should actually ask yourself that question. 

 

About two years ago, I met this good friend of mine who was working on a personal project around ‘happiness’. I felt it was interesting and he suddenly asked me, ‘what does happiness mean to you?’. To be honest, my brain sort of froze for a bit – partly because I had this funny tendency to always want to analyze and crack complex things. This means that, sometimes, even simple questions, appear complex – for the love of ‘complexity'. 

Anyways, I stuttered for a bit then relaxed and gave my answers, which I had felt seemed shallow. But, afterward, I thought about that question again, and I learned that; 

 

1.     Happiness is not a destination most of the time, but a journey. Because, if it is a destination, you will have a tendency to feel unhappy after each time you get to a certain stop/destination and want more – the question, ‘what’s next?’ never ends.  

2.     Happiness is in unplanned things. Like, just dancing even without music, and no, you are not mad. Or, sitting outside and connecting the stars at night. Oh, I do that often – I would make out shapes of animals or whatever with the stars. 

3.     Happiness could mean – just living and stop worrying about ‘what will make you happy’. The truth is, if you are an unhappy person, no matter how close or surrounded you are by happy people, you will always feel off and you won’t even be able to explain, why. So, refuse the urge to make things, titles, or people your ‘place or definition of happy’.

4.     Happiness is avoiding the urge to control things – all the time. Oh, I am the queen of ‘control’. Perhaps, my job as a planner doesn’t make it entirely easy. But, the truth is, you can control only what you can and you should avoid the urge to control, what you obviously cannot control. 

5.     Happiness is in being present. I am so grateful for the year 2020 for many reasons. One is, I learned to be and stay in the moment. I was telling a friend recently how I missed the 18 little birds that used to sit on a certain pole wire at 6:45am daily during the pandemic. I almost gave them names – LOL! I meditated more during those times and oh boy, my mind and heart opened up. I released in surrender to the universe, things I obviously couldn’t control and enjoyed every bit of the ‘now’. 

 

So, what does happiness mean to me? Happiness for me is enjoying and appreciating the little and big things that life brings my way – from the fresh aroma of my morning cup of coffee to the view of the dawn of a new day, the chirping of the birds, the daily text messages from my family, the quick chats and calls from my loved ones, the smiles and nods of strangers jogging down the street, the salty taste of my own sweat, the awesomeness of inhaling fresh clean air before masking up, to the excitement (or not) of the day’s task and the thoughts of my future. 

All and more of these things, moments, bring me happiness and assurance!

What does happiness mean to you, too? 

Love always, 

TA 

 

  

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My G.Ma - Felicia

I never knew I would miss her this much. People never understood why I love Christmas. I didn’t quite get it too – apart   from the bursting joy of the birth of Christ, the melodious songs and beautiful decorations; there was more to the super hyper and lovey-dovey feeling I always have this season. So, I was scrolling through my phone gallery and saw the last photo I had with my G.Ma. Oh by the way, Christmas was her birth and death day. I’m writing this because of her. Just to share a bit of her awesomeness with you. That woman was a bad-ass! Reminiscing on my childhood memories with her, I realized she was the reason I love Christmas. I usually spent my Christmas and New-Year holidays with her as a child. She would take me to her church and ask the priest to allow me join other children in the Christmas carol rehearsals and performances. She would take me to the salon and have my hair done and accessorized. I hated making my hair, it was just too stressful.

Father Of My Child(ren)

You are their hero. You are their light. I know you have been raised to teach them right. To raise boys who would be responsible, bold and kind. To raise girls who would be strong, bold and compassionate. To raise leaders who will impact their world, humans who will be afraid of nothing. You will pray with and for them. You will be the example they need. You will be the voice inside their hearts. You will teach them the ways of God and to love and trust him always. You will show them how to be human and good citizens. You will teach them the importance of hard work and diligence; the dignity in labour. They will make mistakes but you will teach them to be responsible enough to own up and move on. You may not be perfect; you are only human and will have your flaws. But they will love you in all your imperfections, in your flawed beauty. You will be so worthy of emulation that strangers would learn from you. Men would understand their vital roles as fathers to their chi

My covid-19 vaccination experience

Image Source: Google  So, I know the first question on your mind if you are a Nigerian is, how seamless was the process? This question is mainly because of the engraved suffering – ‘hard work’ mode in our institutions’ processes DNA!  Trust me, I get it. And that was why my friends and I got to the centre at 4:30am. Oh, let me rephrase that, one of my friends, Debo, whose house was closer to the centre got there at 4.30am.   Of course, he wasn’t attended to – they told him, no one would be attended to until 8am.  Then, I got there some minutes before 5am. I thought I could use my smile and charm to soften the heart of the man my friend had met, to at least give us tally numbers. We were the first people at the centre and had wanted to just get the tally numbers, go for our jog and come back.     Anyways, my charm did not work. We were asked to stand outside the primary health centre’s gate until 8am. Then, we thought to ourselves, we can’t leave this place without a number. Luckily my